Special Education Programs
Special Education in Saint Paul Public Schools
In St. Paul Public schools we provide special education and related services according to the federal mandates of the Individual with Disabilities Education Act and the State of Minnesota's rules and statutes. We are committed to reducing the disparity of our most marginalized students, primarily our African American males and Native American students, by bringing inequity to the forefront. We will be achieving excellence through equity for all students with disabilities by providing access to culturally responsive curriculum, environment and instructional practices.
Special Education Programs and Services
All schools have some special education and related services; however, not all services are available at every school. The following is a list of special education services available in every elementary school including at Horace Mann:
- Specific Learning Disabilities (SLD)
- Deaf/Hard of Hearing (DHH)
- Visually Impaired (VI)
- Classroom support for students with less severe Emotional or Behavioral Disorders (EBD)
- Speech and languages services (SL)
- Consultation for Other Health Disability/Traumatic Brain Injury/Physical Impairment: special and general education teachers work with district-wide staff to provide appropriate services for individual students
- Developmental Delay (Elementary) (DD)
- Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)
Students with more significant needs, especially in the areas of Developmental Cognitive Disabilities (DCD), Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and Emotional or Behavioral Disorders (EBD), may require services through a specialized program for at least part of the school day. If the IEP has more than 180 service minutes of academic support per day for any of these three areas, the child will be assigned to a school in their area that offers these services. Parents can work with their child’s IEP team to learn more about appropriate school choices.
Click on the staff members to the right for more details or to find contact information.
- Ms. Heather Hara, Special Education Teacher
- Ms. Kendra Rimmereid, Special Education Teacher
- Mr. Brian Groen, Special Education Teacher
- Cheryl Holt, Speech Language Pathologist
- Leah Geier (nee Wolf), Speech and Language Pathologist
- Ms. Ann Elenbaas, School Social Worker
- Mr. Patrick Stary, Occupational Therapist